Agreements are made on many levels
- The employer and employee make an individual contract of employment.
- Employee representatives and employers may make local agreements at workplaces.
- Trade unions and federations of employers negotiate collective agreements in the private and public sectors.
- The national labour and employer confederations make comprehensive agreements in which the Finnish government may also be a partner.
- European umbrella organisations of employees and employers bargain together at European Union level.
- The International Labour Organisation of the United Nations plays an important role in establishing international conventions and standards.