Problems at work?

Any problems that arise concerning such subjects as pay or employment conditions must always be discussed with the employer in the first instance. Problems can often be settled by such informal negotiation.

A shop steward and a labour protection delegate should also be elected to represent employees at the workplace, and to serve as a channel for help and advice when required. Although shop stewards are mainly elected to assist trade union members at the workplace, this should not prevent other employees from calling the shop steward’s attention to workplace problems.

When a problem cannot be settled by negotiating with the employer, then the employee may pursue the matter through further channels that vary according to whether or not the employee belongs to a trade union. These approaches should be applied in the order shown until the problem has been resolved.

Union members should approach:

  1. The shop steward or labour protection delegate for the workplace
  2. The trade union regional office or telephone hotline

Other employees should approach:

  1. A more experienced workmate or the labour protection delegate for the workplace
  2. The occupational health and safety administration
  3. The local authority legal aid office
  4. The police

The employee rights advisory service for immigrants is open between Monday and Thursday from 09.00 to 11.00 and from 12.00 to 15.00: telephone 0800 414 004 or e-mail This free service is provided by SAK.

The Occupational Safety and Health Administration provides telephone advice on 0295 016 620 between 08.00 and 16.15 on Monday to Friday.

Useful links

Occupational Safety and Health Administration telephone advisory service

How to contact local authority legal aid offices (in Finnish)

The police: reporting an offence (in Finnish)
The police: reporting an offence (in English)

Rights and duties of employees (in Finnish and English)
Human trafficking and forced labour (in Finnish and English)